Saturday 23 October 2010

Different emotional reactions from strangers on two Paris buses

In this first situation I openly pointed the camera and took their photos.

As you see there's not a flicker of interest or real disapproval.

The behaviour of this second group of three (there's one in front holding the red bag) was totally different.

I got this group to spring up out of their seats and cheer - the one with the hand bag actually got up and raised her right arm with a clenched fist. They were reacting not primarily to me but to a woman in front that was mouthing off at another passenger - a stranger telling - her to shut up.

I was the one that triggered off this release of emotion.

Story to follow!

A similar situation happens at live performances when you can get the people round you to clap by clapping vigorously yourself!

This situation was more dramatic!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

do you just go around taking photos of people,if you tried taking a photo of me i'd be giving you a slap to be honest

Geoff Dellow said...

I agree with your reaction.

This is what bothered me.

No one showed any sign of objecting.

This is the effect of city life with so many things going on. People just switch off in order to survive.

What worries me is that as people feel more and more pressured they too will want to switch off from human involvement.

I wonder whether there is already a tendency this way in Ulverston over the last fifty years.

Do people really let others know what they feel - or are they too frightened to speak out?