Friday 8 October 2010

Outrageous statements that shook the Town Council

This is the second:

"Why did councillors not come to me for an explanation of the abusive emails that they received rather than cause two police officers to send their valuable time coming to my house for an explanation."

From the Mayor's reply at the council meeting, their seemed an irrefutable logic that because the person who was sending the abusive emails claimed to be my second in command, then this must be true. I was therefore responsible.

It was clear from the behavior of the councillors present that they believed this to be the case and that I was behind the abuse. I can still remember the scowl of Colin Hodgson and Norman Bishop-Rowe who are normally friendly, not giving me eye contact and carrying a long drawn tense face. Most of the councillors present totally ignored me and were hostile.

My replies could not change the attittude of the Mayor, Phil Lister. He was clearly convinced that I was involved with the sending of these abusive emails and had a case to answer.

He was adamant, I was clearly involved , and he was very angry.

There was only one of the councillors who had asked me privately for an explanation previous to the meeting and had checked out that I too had received abuse. This was Colin Williams.

The result was that I left the council chamber totally stunned as I have already described.

I couldn't believe that so many people would be convinced by Mayor Phil Lister's faulty logic.

What kind of people were these councillors?

The mood in the council chamber was that a public lynching was highly appropriate.

Thanks to the action of Colin Williams I wasn't completely shattered.

As I left the council chamber after this exchange he came running after me calling my name and repeating "They've got it all wrong, Geoff. They've got it all wrong"

At least there was one person who had checked their facts and believed I was innocent.

My initial reaction was to sue the Mayor and council for slander. I had three reliable witnesses and asked them to make a written record of what  had happened and would use the best solicitors in the country to press my case. I was sure I could win and get the council to pay the enormous court costs that would ensue.

On reflection I realised that what the councillors believed would have little impact on my life in Ulverston. The public present in the chamber were more likely to believe me than them. My impression is that there are few people here in the town that have much respect for the kind of people these councillors are and certainly not believe them rather than me.

My word against theirs - no contest.

There was really nothing to be gained by clearing my name. I have better things to spend my life doing.

An apology for jumping to the wrong conclusion would be good and help future relations and this is what I would expect from the councillors if I am to respect them in the future.

I would request (not demand) this.

An email to the Mayor requesting an apology has resulted in a long rambling statement containing several inaccuracies that seek to justify his  assertion that "There will be no apology".

He clearly feels he is right and that I was at fault.

As for other councillors:

I have had a warm smile from Janet Jenkinson at a subsequent council meeting.

We'll see what the future holds but no point in dwelling on this any longer.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You'd better be able to make these very serious allegations stand up, you aren't the only one who can threaten the law. How were councillors supposed to know you didn't send the filthy emails? You say yourself it was someone else claiming to be your second in command. How are councillors supposed to be able to order the police about. Why wouldn't they believe you had a case to answer there isn't a day goes by that you aren't kicking them. I think there are few people in the town who aren't sick of your arogant ponching about claimning to be the only one who knows best. You're an idiot if the mayor shut you up then good.

Geoff Dellow said...

Wow.

So what in particular is bothering you?

Serious allegations?

Were you there?

How come that Colin Williams was so concerned and said "They've got it all wrong"?

Gladys Hobson said...

You are owed an apology. It is as simple as that. I can't imagine why anyone should take note of such Emails without consulting the supposed sender. Good heavens you are not that sort of person, however you may annoy people from time to time. (Don't we all?)

Geoff Dellow said...

I've just received the following and thought it was appropriate.

It starts:

"Dear Friend,

Kindly accept my apology for sending unsolicited mail to you. I believe you are a highly respected personality, considering the fact that I sourced your profile from a human resource profile database on your country. "

It's good to know someone thinks highly of me!

Anonymous said...

Why don't you publish the Mayor's 'long rambling' statement, without altering it in any way, so that we can all judge for ourselves how inaccurate it is, and how much we can all rely on your word. I've seen what he wrote to you and what you are saying here is a pack of barefaced lies.

Geoff Dellow said...

If you've seen what the Mayor, Phil Lister, wrote, I assume you're pretty close to him.

So who are you?

Time to come out of the shadows.

You have some strong views.

Why use "anonymous"?