Tuesday 5 October 2010

Is there a reason why we have had no opportunity to thank Gill Barron for her work?

Many of you will have marvelled at the fantastic result of Gill's work that we have in Lower Brook Street:

The John Barrow Mural

Featured here on the First of July - where you can watch the videos.

I gather that she is extremely upset.

At this moment she has reacted strongly on her own web site

Looking at the web site that she created to display her work. At the moment she has removed most of the photographs of her work in protest.

However here in Ulverston, I am not aware of any recognition being given to all her hard work.

In contrast there was a  ceremony that was held when she did the previous mural.

I spoke to her on almost a daily basis as she worked in rain and cold conditions to produce this masterpiece - she even moved here temporarily to be able to get the work done.

I gather she wants the matter dropped.

So this is what is being done.

As I see it Gill is clearly upset.

Perhaps, in reality, she's a happy little bunny.

Until she tells us otherwise we can only go on what she tells us on her web sites.

I don't think we're going to learn any more.

The Town Clerk explains that  "She is satisfied with the arrangements made with her."

It would still be good to be given the opportunity to thank her for all her hard work.

6 comments:

Gladys Hobson said...

Well, we stopped by every time we walked by the mural. We thought it fantastic and I asked if she gave lessons on drawing. Maybe a plaque should be put on the spot in recognition of her months of hard work?

Geoff Dellow said...

I could make one as a ceramic!

Any other ideas!

I'd have thought an email to her would be appreciated - well it would me.

She would then have people to offload her emotional frustration knowing the recipients cared.

Ben said...

Sounds like something from an episode of Inspector Morse!!

Geoff Dellow said...

We do our best but it's not Oxford.

A.R. said...

Why has she found it necessary to call Sir John Barrow a dork ? I've gone right off her !

Geoff Dellow said...

No idea.

She gave me a hounding for bring the matter up.

Serves her right for leaving her remarks on her web site.

Overall, I guess we have to put it down to "artistic temperament".

When you spend several months focus on one guy in the past, working in the cold and rain, you begin to go off the person your working on.

Furthermore , Gill is one to overstate her opinions (something I can be accused of !).

Being objective, she did a brilliant job and created something that has and will in the future give a lot of pleasure.

I'd like her to come back so that we can tell her how much we appreciate all her hard work and hopefully rib her a little for her caustic remarks.