Friday 29 November 2013

Clever Scams

I've received this very similar type of scam twice now:

I'm writing this with tears in my eyes, I and my family presently on a short trip to Rome, Italy. Unfortunately, I was robbed in the hotel I booked, all my valuables which includes cash, cell phones were stolen during the attack but luckily I still have my passport with me.

I've been to the Embassy and the Police here but they are not taking the matter seriously. Please, I really need your financial assistance now because things are really getting tough on me here. Our flight leaves in few hours from now but we're having problems settling the hotel bills and the hotel manager won't let us leave until we settle the bills. Please, let me know if you can help us out?

I'll really appreciate your prompt response.


Signed by someone you know

Close examination reveals that though the email address from the person allegedly sending the emailis accurate the reply email is similar but different.

Please ignore and inform the unfortunate person involved that their address book as been raided.

Yes this scam is becomming a bit too popular - Many of my contacts have the same story - the exact wording!

No comments: