Saturday 10 March 2012

I'm feeling apprehensive

I am refusing to pay two bills to two companies that provide Internet Services : Fasthosts and 1&1

They claim that I am default of making a payment for future services that I have given them notice in writing that I do not require.

I am awaiting an explanation as to why I should pay.

They are threatening legal action.

I have both writen by snail mail and by email requesting a phone call for them to explain why I am in breach of our contract.

As I, at the moment, believe that I have done the right thing; standing up to them and refusing to pay appears the only option.

Their powerful set of procedures feels very intimidating.

However at the moment I feel that I am ready to go to prison unless persuaded to take alternative action.

I find this is a scary situation, one that I feel I have to confront. I am shaking slightly even as I write this.

It feels very much like David and Goliath.

*** 

I have just received a reply from the debt collectors that I am in breach of our contract because if I want to terminate the contract, I have to notify them 14 days before they remind me that they are about to demand payment.

I am letting this sink in.

It doesn't seem right that you can't refuse to have a service in the future if you do it before that service is provided.

Damned small print - these companies really have us over a barrel.

Or do they? I wonder how the courts would view the situation? Again it feels like David a Goliath and thus totally unfair.

Life is becoming incredibly complicated - how are mere humans expected to cope?

I don't think we can - do you? How about some answers before I disappear.


My solution is to move increasingly into my shell and cut off contact with the nasty outside world wherever possible - anyone knowing me must realise this goes against the grain.

However realistically this is the only sane solution if I am not to suffer.

Clarinet and piano  becomes increasingly appealing here safe inside my shell.

4 comments:

Chris said...

Geoff,
Just ignore them they are shysters trying to bill you for services that do not exist it is an old grift also fly by night debt collectors are the scum of the earth they are paid on what they collect.
You will also find the consumer credit act is in your favor.
As I see it these kind of people are the scum of the earth they try and scare the "little man" to get rich I would throw such a letter in the trash can but such letters scare older people.
You can also do a search on line at companies house to see if these companies are real however my advice to you would be to throw the letters away and forget about it.
I came across an advert a few days ago for a company called Wonga so very sad what a disgusting company they get rich screwing over the "little man"

Geoff Dellow said...

Thanks Chris, that was quick - now is the really useful part - can you point me to the exact reference in the act you refer to and if right I will happily take them on.

Chris said...

Geoff,
I am not an Attorney and cannot quote the act chapter and verse however The 1974 Consumer Credit Act was passed in the days when the Labor Party was the Labor Party to protect the average man however I see a new act has been passed the 2006 Consumer Credit Act I expect it has brought the 74 act up to date at Common Law contractual liability is complicated insofar as what is inferred and what is in the small print.
If this company is for real expect all you will get is somebody that lives in a cubicle and earns min wage and working for such a company is worse than being a customer.
If the company is real the name of the MD is a public record try emailing him if his email is not listed try his name in different formats first if it does not bounce back you have the correct addr 9 times out of 10 as some servers are set up with "Catch All" with emails not many.
For the most part these kind of companies send a few letters than go away it is not cost effective to chase up small debt.
If this bothers you Geoff I would talk to Colin at your CAB and show him the letters and ask his advice he read Law not me.
When I have an internet connection I look at your site to see that you are well I have seen letters from Debt Collection companies that have had old people in tears you are an educated man but think if you had left school without even a CSE and you got a letter that looked important telling you things like you can loose your house the currency of Debt Collectors is fear not nice people Geoff.

Geoff Dellow said...

Thanks Chris,

I'm in the middle of jobs but will digest what you say and reflect.

It's great to have your advice.