Wednesday 7 March 2012

Watching the news these days makes me feel very angry

However it's important to stay positive.

First what makes me angry :

The killing of our soldiers in Afghanistan. This is most definitely not a criticism of the soldiers themselves. They are doing a very brave and successful job given the odds stacked against them.

But the odds against overall success are, I believe, far higher than those favoring the strategy of the British.

The reason given for pouring all this effort into a foreign country is based I believe in an unsubstantiated falsehood :

That if we weren't fighting in Afghanistan then we would have more terrorism here.

The evidence for this is impossible to determine as we are unable to measure what the situation would be here if we withdrew all our soldiers. One can only use our own logic :

Mine states that we are in fact prone to more terrorism here in Britain because of the fury of Afghan people in seeing what has in fact gone wrong with so many innocent people killed. It seems to me that many people particularly those in neighbouring Pakistan infact hate the presence of western forces.

So the case that terrorism is less is, I suspect, a falsehood. We could well have more potential terrorism here because of this war.

Then I hear that Remploy is to have funding withdrawn - the problem here looks as though it is that the company of 2,000 disabled people has been badly administered by 500 non- disabled people on fat salaries. Is this not true - why can't all the managers also be disabled people - surely disablement doesn't affect only one level of potential ability. It seems that politicians have allowed this company to be badly administer wo that it continues to run at a loss of £16, 000 per disabled person. Please tell me I'm wrong.

So how do I stay positive - my getting involved with great people in our community who are ready to work hard to actually do something for the rest of us. Thus we've had help to recover wood that is being thrown out from the Sheltered Housing complex at Mill Dam being recovered, stripped down ready for use in repairing the fences that really do need to be repaired around Mill Dam Park.

 At the same time Work is going on already this year that continues projects that have been going on for two years now. Sweet Plants that are well ahead of most available commercially are already in position and taking off in their new location. Furthermore fresh strong perennials - African Daisies have already been planted and will be ion bloom shortly and continue for the rest of the year. Other plants put in last October are now all set to burst into flower after a tough winter.

I look forward to seeing our park looking better than ever before thanks to these kind of helpers all working with very little funds.

On a personal level I am gaining great satisfaction at being able to play the piano and now also the clarinet with greater ability thanks to the encouragement of my teachers - I've just booked a lesson with my former clarinet teacher who will be setting me some targets that will enable me to play better.

These things - done entirely for oneself are a great boost to ones morale when the rest of the world appears to be going to pot.

I've also numerous activites with lovely people that cheer me up immensely - weekly chess, fortnightly discussion, support for the Scrap Store,  pottery projects like the on recently at Church walk, contact with fellow gardiners at the allotment, the up and coming Flag Fortnight in The Gill, this blog,various facebook pages and yest some more - like taking out young children as they explore this wonderful world we live in - it's very uplifting seeing things through their eyes.

Now for some clarinet and piano practice and a couple of hours rewatching  programs on i-Player ready for tow morrow's discussion on class.

There - just writing this makes me feel better. Who would have thought that when at school I hated writing ( spending a whole weekend over my English Homework) and failed my O level English which would have stopped me going to university.

No comments: