Friday 2 March 2012

Ulverston Market on its last legs?

I talked to David at the plant stall and he says that the internet is taking over.


For his part he is able to remain flexible and achieve sales by tailoring what he sells to the pockets of his customers. We're lucky to have someone like him coming so regularly , especially on Saturday when he has the choice of so many different markets across the North of England.

Local elections are coming up.

What are we doing about the state of our town. The choice of councillors is dire. No one with credibility wants the job.

Few will even be bothered to vote.

Apathy has meant that the North Ward has had no representation on South Lakeland District Council ever since the death of Colin Hodgson.

Few want to get involved and those that do are only interested in party politics not the welbeing of the town.

The Greens are once again going to be offering candidates but only because the want to support the Green Party - you'll find they know little about and do little for the town at present.

Those of us that care need to work together to get some independent thinkers involved who know their town inside out.

I'm willing to strongly support anyone intersted in standing.

Any offers?

6 comments:

Max Robespierre said...

Vote Dellow!.

Geoff Dellow said...

I've very mixed feelings about this.

Do I really want to stick my head in this noose.

Life is so much more enjoyable away from loathsome local politicians. But there are a few good guys . . . . . .

Gladys Hobson said...

You have the passion for politics and for getting things done. Have a go, Geoff — that is if you have the health and strength to do it.

Geoff Dellow said...

I have passion. Yes.

For politics - No.

I have a passion for fairness and for a "better world" - yes.

Is politics the way forward? - not at all sure.

For getting things done - not so sure.

Rather for working with others who want to get things done.

If playing my clarinet better can be counted as "getting things done" - yes.

Gladys said...

In that case standing for the Council is not for you.

This is the problem of many people who feel passionate about things. Perhaps it IS better to stand aside and go one's own way — at least for such an individual. The cut and thrust of politics is tough and demanding. That is, if the job is being done right.

Personally, I would not call any politician 'loathsome'. A bit strong I think. I am sure they are all trying to do the job as they see it should be done That does not mean they are always (or ever?) right though.

Geoff Dellow said...

You're right Gladys,

Thanks for your thoughts.

Another friend, yesterday, advised me to keep out (and another previously said "You're too valuable working outside the system": there are less painful (and perhaps more effective) ways of asking questions. And do the actions of politicians really matter on a personal basis. Politicians only reflect the values of our society. Better to concentrate on that.

Yes loathsome is very strong: too strong. Better to say that they are not a group of people - as a whole - that I would choose to be my friends - they no doubt feel the same way.

Having said that there are some amongst them I truely value for the kind of people they are and what they achieve against the odds.

I'm looking forward to finding out who is willing to stand for election in May. It's going to be a tough job ahead of them. Of those that have declared an interest, I haven't spotted one that impresses me. There is one, however, who I would love to stand but so is not persuaded.