Tuesday 10 July 2012

The Coop elections

Ballots went out last week to Coop members for them to elect four members of the local group of 16 people who run the coops in this area which stretches from Lancaster to Barrow  to Kendal, thus including Ulverston. One is elected for a period of four years with elections every year at this time.

As you will see I am one of the six candidates.

I mentioned this to an acquaintance as I saw her coming out of our local Coop on Market Street and she said "Yes, and I voted for you"

I added "Well it will be hard work" to which she gave what I thought was a strange reply : "Why are you doing it then?"

"Why does one do anything?" was my reply.

The implication for me was that people didn't do or enjoy doing things that were hard work.

Surely we all find that the harder the work the more the satisfaction in achieving a goal, unless it's something we do against our better judgement.

I heard on television last night that someone started to run for fun at the age of 82 and has being running Marathons ever since- he's now over 100. How hard is that! In fact having a goal in life seems to be very important to those over 100 that were featured in the program.

Having 25 years ahead of me is a great way of looking forward to the rest of my life.

Hard work, here I come. - Now for a cup of tea in an armchair as I reflect on this thought!

If anybody who is a coop member would like to vote and has not received a voting pack they can get it from Lorna  Andrews by giving their membership card number and address and it will be sent to them.

They will have until the end of July to vote.

Lorna Andrews
PA to Regional Secretary
5th Floor
New Century House
Corporation Street
Manchester
M60 4ES
Telephone: 0161 246 2345
Email: membership@co-operative.co.uk

You can read the eleven postings  I have already made supporting the coop on this blog by following this link

No comments: