Tuesday 31 July 2012

Kites - taking the plunge

Every now and then I have an urge to go off in a new direction. Today is one of those days so I seem to be talking myself into it!

I'm getting seriously tempted to go back to one of my previous hobbies: Kite Making.

Twenty five years ago I would go down to the local open space and fly my kites and have a great time.

I've been very determinely searching for my beautifully written kite making manual. Each time I fail to find it in amongst by crazy book shelves and motivation comes crashing down. So I've given up on this and am going to use the internet for guidance.

I've found this site : http://www.my-best-kite.com which on first glance looks great.

One of my favorites is  the Delta Kite - there's a video at the bottom of the page of one flying. It's a design that requires very little wind.

So anyone else interested?

I have fibre rods from the past and some 'new' ones given by Sue Redhead.
I have access to beautiful coloured materials - used for making our flags.
I have two sewing machines.
We even have a room that could be dedicated to just sewing and making them.

Here's the kind of thing I have in mind - kept beautifully simple :


It shouldn't be difficult to make a group of kites like these that are very simple.

We have the equipment and materials.
We have some knowhow.

So let's party!

So, anyone interested in joining me for a bit of fun?

This could well become another Ulverston activity for the 'summer' months.

e- gd at tygh.co.uk     t- 01229 490 347

2 comments:

Sharon Holden said...

Brill idea. I really hope you are still initiating such great activities when my little boy is old enough to join in (or when he won't need constant attention!)

Geoff Dellow said...

I'm sure I will.
A three year old can hold the end of a kite string, surely!

Thanks so much for your enthusiastic response.

I feel we need a bit of it in these difficult times. After all with the cost of doing it just a few pounds - what's to stop us?