Sunday 29 July 2012

Not black and white but various shades of grey

I used to have people I loved (liked a lot) and people I hated.

Now I don't know anyone I totally love or dislike.

I have many whose behaviour  I vacillate between really liking - or admiring - and disliking intensely.

This can lead to sad losses in relationships as when you show that you don't like a certain behaviour and you appear to lose that 'friendship' for ever.

What we aspire to is having friends that like us as we are - with all our faults. This implies that they dislike our faults but still like us.

The relationships I'm enjoying most are those where we a continuously able to give each other new things that are wanted by the recipients. Ones where deep trust has been established and we can be very honest with each other. Ones where we can tell the other person that there's something we don't like and they can take it on the chin. "So you don't like it - so what?"

The litmus test to a good relationship for me is : Can you tease them about things that matter to them?
I have some other people I know that I wouldn't dare and am waiting for the relationship to repair - if it ever will - from previous indiscretions of my being too honest.

No comments: