Saturday 18 December 2010

The Big Freeze

With all the cancellations of transport reported in the Evening Mail I trust that people are finding that other people are stepping in and helping out.

My thoughts are for the taxi drivers that may be urged to make dangerous journeys when they are tired, and have fractious customers when they follow their better judgment and refuse to taxi.

Generally I'm finding everyone very cheerful and treating the snow as a bit of fun.

The clearing of snow has reached new heights here in the Union Lane vicinity. Not only is our lane completely clear of snow and gritted for a good 8ft width so cars can move freely, but pavement clearing has spread round the corner into Stanley Street in both directions.

You can at the moment walk all the way from the Gill to the Health Centre on cleared gritted pavement - its amazing and all done by four people and a helping gutsy young girl.

These people are clearly Snow Heroes and waiting for their rewards - did I hear someone was offering a bottle of malt whisky to each person (no not the little girl). All offers willingly accepted!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I nominated you on BBC cumbria as my snow hero you are a Guru and an inspiration to the "I can't" or " I wont"
last big freeze I went to the health center for treatment and the staff. Doctors incuded on £140K walked past the salt bin .
I scattered a small path to the disabled car park!
Waiting for a grump or a chump the pompous silkworms JAK