Friday 10 December 2010

A letter from Tim Farron

Because I'm impressed with Tim and have had meetings with him when I get the opportunity - I receive his circulars: This one has just arrived dealing with the Tuition Fees Debate.

His web site gives you a run down on the issues he is currently fighting - you may want to support him - even though he's not our MP here in Ulverston.
One campaign he is conducting is to keep Cheques after 2018 when - at present - they will be phased out. Register you vote if you're concerned.

From Tim:
You may have noticed that I voted against the Whip last night – I voted against the increase in tuition fees, as did 20 other Lib Dem MPs including Ming Campbell and Charles Kennedy. I’m sorry if any of you think that this was a disloyal thing to do. I am a huge fan of Nick Clegg, but this once I had to disagree.

Our manifesto in May set out plans to phase out fees over a 6 year period – but of course we didn’t win the election outright, we are in coalition and we must rightly compromise. However, I also signed a separate pledge to young people in Westmorland & Lonsdale that I would oppose any rise in fees. When I signed that pledge, I meant it – and having made a promise I was determined to keep it.

I made my opposition to a fees rise public a few weeks ago and since then we have managed to extract more and more progress on the fees front. So, although I am disappointed that the government will increase the headline figure of fees, it’s also vital that we celebrate what we have achieved on student fees. For example:

- Part time students (and most local students are part-time) have their upfront fees abolished
- No student will pay any upfront fees at all – only graduates earning more than £21,000
- The average graduate will pay £30 a month, whereas under the current system the average student pays £75 a month
- To make sure that poorer graduates pay nothing, richer graduates will pay more – which is fairer

Let’s be honest, though, the Lib Dems have taken a hammering in the media and in public opinion on this issue – frankly, I think we asked for it! But I am not prepared to just sit and feel miserable about it, that’s why I will be out on the birdcage in Kendal this weekend talking to local people, its why I’m out knocking on doors doing residents surveys from Sedbergh to Flookburgh and from Ambleside to Burton, and its why I’m doing public meetings with sixth-formers this week. Being in power gives us the chance to make a real difference – but it also means making difficult decisions. Having spent 24 years as a Young Liberal, and now as a middle-aged Lib Dem, I am proud of our party. There will be some supporters who will find the going tough – they might even feel like giving up. I would say to them – please don’t! We’ve been through tougher times than these.

So, I apologise for my rebellion the other night, but my loyalty is above all to you and to everyone else in Westmorland and Lonsdale.
Best wishes,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

However the measure was passed with only a slim majority as Labour MPs and many Lib Dems realised that the only people who vote for them these days are students or people who wish they still were.
Sack all the parties
Independants please apply