Monday 13 December 2010

Christmas

I enjoy Christmas because I treat the period in a very laid back way.

I  try to a avoid feeling pressure to do anything that I don't really want to.

Some years,   Christmas cards are sent out, others they aren't. Giving presents for the sake of it is avoided.

This means that I rarely if ever buy presents unless I'm struck with a brilliant idea.

We also encourage others not to give us presents. There's a strong chance that we wouldn't like them.

Often I give things that I've made but only if I feel inspired with what I consider is a good idea.

Sadly this means many people are puzzled because they don't understand what to expect.

After a few years they get used to not knowing and accept that they can't understand and give up trying.

Eating and drinking is kept to what we feel like which generally is very little. Christmas dinner is not common - I've even have had sandwiches and gone for a good walk. I may go down to the allotment and get some digging done if the sun is out.

In the past, one thing I have made the most of are the near empty roads on Christmas Day. So going off for a walk is a great activity. Tarn Hows is rewarding and to hell with the purists that tell you not to feed the birds - bird seed; but then South Walney beach would equally be a possibility.

The last few years I've met up with friends who happen to be walking their dogs at Ford Park on Christmas morning and we share some hot mulled wine. The dogs certainly know how to enjoy themselves and its great watching them.


The lack of availability of friends who are spending time with their families means that I have time to catch up with much needed tidying up.

This year playing the piano is a priority because I'm enjoying it so much. Variations on 'God rest you merry gentlemen' is my present challenge - as you'll no doubt shortly hear.

When eventually the splurge is over and things are back to normal we are content.

No comments: