Sunday 12 December 2010

Update on the Flooding Danger in South Ulverston



As you will know from this blog, since running for the post of County Councillor a couple of years ago, I have maintained a strong interest in developments of the flooding situation in South Ulverston.

I have attended and taken an active role in both the meetings held in the Coronation Hall which I have found most unsatisfactory.

However at these two meeting I have got to know David Myers who is very involved with a group that has regular meeting with the Environment Agency.

Here is his report which he has given permission for me to publish here:

Hello Geoff,

The Environment Agency has been co-operative.

They have listened to everything we have said, and have done, or are doing
something about it. Last week's heavy rain had water from Dragley Beck going
down Rope Walk, but the shallow mound put in the Donkey Field interrupts the
path of the water towards Steel Street.    

Low Mill bridge has had some dredging, and the beck downstream of it has had
(and is having) considerable work done to it: debris removed and trees and
tree roots cleared - at least from the South bank. It flows like a river.

The exchanges are friendly, and our perception is that they will do
something towards everything we suggest.

There was an old tidal flap not working, and thence the tidal water entered
Carter Pool uninhibited, but they cleared some debris, for a 95%
improvement. The tidal flap at Priory Point is incorrectly designed, and
cannot close by tidal influence because its centre of gravity is in the
wrong place - it needs a counterbalance. Fortunately this cannot affect
South Ulverston because it is on the other side of a bank.

There may be a public meeting soon, but no date is set yet, and there is
absolutely no doubt that we have moved forward a long way since last year.

Thank you for your interest.

As you will gather from my video, I confirm that a lot of work has been done downstream from Low Mill Bridge which is the stretch that has been filmed. Debris that I started to clear myself has now been removed however in my view the bridge itself shows no improvement and must still serve as a bottleneck for the Beck trying to escape to the sea.

I would have thought the shingle under the bridge also needs to be removed so that it returns to having the much greater clearance that has been described to me by people who live locally.

The clear straight path that is now there downstream of the bridge needs to be replicated upstream up to Birks Bridge ie beyond the place that the river burst its banks and travels to Steel Street.

This I would have thought will provide a better chance that flood water goes to the sea and not to South Ulverston.

Do other people agree with my reasoning?

I'm hoping that there will finally be a public meeting where we will get straight answers, but don't cross your fingers. It could become painful.

I can well understand people becoming frustrated.

Maybe the above report will be reassuring.

But has it done anything to lessen the likelyhood of flooding in South Ulverston?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would be lovely to have buffer pools alongside the ropewalk
The telegraph poles and the obstruction bridge was erected without planning permission as was the barbed wire fence alongside the side of the ropewalk my kids loved it in and out on the way to school the land was only claimed after the responsibility was taken on by the Agency and not the landowner if they do own it ?

Bernadette said...

has nothing of substance been done since the floods? It sounds like Common Purpose within the Council,get rid of the lot of them,when will the people realise that our land was taken away from us and is now being run by lunatics from the asylum. Suebyu

Geoff Dellow said...

I get the impression that the matter of Flooding in South Ulverston is no longer a hot topic.

As no people from South Ulverston are urging me to take action, I am concentrating other other issues.

Should anyone think my involvement would be helpful, then I would get involved.

The ball as they say is in your court, people worried or even thinking about flooding possibilities.

I'm convinced that we will have flooding again within the next 4 years.

All the 'modelling' done is useless unless it leads to a practical solution.

Clearing the path of Dragley Beck between Birk's Bridge and the sea seems to me to be a top priority.

The path needs to be straight, wide and at a steady gradient so as to maximise the potential flow away from Birks Bridge and the place where the Beck bursts it's banks and floods towards Steel Street.

Low Mill Bridge at the site of the old tannery would be a place to start by clearing at least a foot of river bed from under it so as to enable water to flow easily under it as was true twenty years ago.

This I have demonstrated by video is a bottleneck and have made some attempts on my own to clear the debree positioned there. Some clearing has been down but there is a whole lot more that could be done by people working together with spades.

Is it not a time for community action instead of moaning?